Thread: Winter Projects
View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2813145)   #512
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Just checked Mexico homologation papers (5455) and it only shows 32/36 Weber, so any Gp1 car wishing to run in period spec would have to use that.

Allowing twin sidedraft nowadays a good way of making car more competitive against Avengers etc. Incidentally, no vented front discs homologated either, but CTCRC seem quite free with braking regs.
I thought as much, 'cos I well remember Plum Tyndall racing his Mexico in Gp1 and it had a blue printed engine etc. to try and keep up with the Boyd's Capri's and the Hunter GLS and stuff, but still ran on a 32/36.
I did my driving test in a Holbay Hunter (it had 40s standard) so I was reasonably familiar with what could be done in those days. at 17yo you tend to be into that. My Dad has bigger carbs than your Dad sort of thing.

I remember an article in CCC called, 'The Hunter they all chased' 'cos the Holbay engine came with a big cam, and webers etc. IIRC it was advertised as 'The Wolf in Sheeps clothing'
They went ok for a mid 70s car.