View Single Post
Old 27 Aug 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2529515)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spoke with him in Trois Rivieres about that actually - he fully admits that he was over his head in some of the series he was racing in for Red Bull - just too young and not ready for it... Even coming back to North America, putting a 16 year old in Atlantic is just too young. He did ok, all things considered, but the expectations from Red Bull were just too much given his age. When he took a step back, and did a season of Star Mazda, he started to hit his stride again and won the championship.

I think he's definitely one of the most naturally talented young American drivers to come along in a long time, but I think he was burned by Red Bull pushing him into series and expecting results when he had barely learned how to drive a car. I don't think he's the only driver to get that treatment from Red Bull though... on the other hand, who knows where he'd be without them.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes