View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2516620)   #28
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To answer a question, yes I had to pay for a stand. The 3x3 tent was £400 + VAT which was great value.

MG Live preaches to the converted and is a massive social event. The racing is just clubbie and compared to times past there weren't many people watching it, I hardly think my Midget or Montego compare with the Group C cars/F1 cars/w.h.y. as a draw. Just think how many museum entry fees you'd have to pay to even see that lot static let alone racing, then compare it to the SC ticket prices LOL!

Several years back I went to the "old" classic at its height as a Friday spectator with a load of friends from work - car enthusiasts, not petrol heads. We adored the Festival format, able to dip in and out, look at other things - IIRC there was a Rallysprint too or is memory fading? It was c. £20 to get in on practice day, and that must have been 10 years ago?

More power to Ken's elbow I think there is the potential for a real family day out, which means drivers will *want* to race at such a big event, which means I'll get more custom.

There's room for everyone - Redshoes can go to Masters Brands, others to Silverstone Classic. Just because it's not *your* cup of tea, it's not *wrong*, just *different*. And my bank balance says that SC09 wasn't *wrong*! It's great there's someone trying something new - do the same old thing, you get the same old result.

Oh and as a competitor I'd much rather pay a premium and do fewer high-quality meetings than lots of "cheap" 20 minutes around Combe, Lydden or whatever.......(which require just as much effort and outlay in preparation etc. Be honest, entry fees are a minor part of race costs)

Last edited by midgetman; 6 Aug 2009 at 07:45. Reason: Clarity