View Single Post
Old 22 May 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2884020)   #41
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I don't know what is with the obsession to turn all sportscar championships to "world championships", just so they can turn too costly for most of the competitors and ruin a good thing.
Totally agree. Problem is the organizers sniff World Championship and the apparent bundles of money it gives. Unfortunately, it is normally short lived in most areas and the interest dies quickly when half of the teams can't travel to Kyalami or Buenos Aires, and there aren't enough locals to make the grid higher then 15 cars.

The current combo of International / European races with National Championships is a good mixture.

But FIA will never listen. They'll push for World status, probably try to sink GT Masters, and other local championships with huge prizes, a lot of teams will go thinking they'll win nice money and 2/3/4 years later the thing turns sour.

I am, of course, looking forward to Spa. Should be wonderful.
I was at Portimão for the first round of the FIA GT3 championship. I wasn't paying much attention at the race itself, since I was partly busy with other commitments, but the cars are great, and there's still a following. They could merge the 2 but I'd hope they would expand the schedule to include some other circuits, like Portimão :P