View Single Post
Old 22 Sep 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3307870)   #23
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well this'll be a long rant....

It surprises me that Vettel doesn't get just about 100% of the votes this time. He was in another race to everyone else.

He pulled out a thirty second lead over Rosberg, Alonso, Webber in just 13 laps. And he was on used mediums that had already done several laps before the SC. He was 2-3s per lap faster than everyone in the field, consistently doing between 1m 50.0-1m 50.3 on just about every lap.

It can't be all in the car, because what did Webber do? And Rosberg and Hamilton for that matter, as they were on similar strategy. Webber pitted 21 laps from the end, new mediums that didn't have to go as long as Vettel's stint of 25 laps and a lighter fuel load. Webber came out about 27 seconds behind Alonso and had 21 laps to close the gap, with Alonso on tyres getting worse by the lap. Remember Vettel made up 30s in 11 laps. Instead when Nico passed him I think Webber was still about 20 secs behind Alonso (he would have lost a few secs short shifting though). While Webber was still doing 1m51s, Vettel was out front on cruise mode yet still in the 50s and even put in a 48.5s, showing what he COULD do. Webber and the Mercedes' should have been able to fly through the field. My point is, if Webber couldn't lap within a second of Vettel, at a time when Vettel was told to cruise and Webber was pushing like hell, it's not all the car then, is it?

Also to note, Vettel before the last lap was over 35s ahead of Alonso. The gap was less than 5 secs after he'd pitted on lap 44, so Vettel again pulled out 30secs in 17 laps, even when he was in cruise mode (we assume). This is what Webber should have been able to do in his drive back up the field. Tough to pass? Not when a McLaren is doing 1m57s and you have car that can to 1m48s.

In normal conditions, without the safety car, where the drivers push 100% instead of nursing the tyres, I think Vettel would quite easily have been a minute ahead of everyone at the finish if he wanted to.

So as such, I can't even fathom giving DOTR to anyone other than Vettel.

Alonso made a great start, but the safety car handed him 2nd place when he was the only one in the top bunch to pit. Grosjean was clearly faster than Alonso, as was Rosberg.

Kimi was even luckier. I don't even think he was in the top 10 before the safety car was he? He would have had no result in that race if the safety car didn't gift him a free stop. He took forever to get around Jenson who was lapping slower than a GP2 in the end. The only thing Kimi and Fernando really did was make those tyres last a long time. Props for that, but no DOTR.