Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2017, 21:07 (Ref:3749173)   #263
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Right.

Oh, and where are the sources saying they will be? As you say ...

I said the meaning was debatable. I did Not say that Honda/Penske Would Not be there. Don't be reporting rumors with misleading headlines.

I stand by what I said. I don't think Penske is going to wait a lot longer for things to work out.

Anent what JimClark said ... I also guess Roger isn't doing all the driving over there now. That is something I will need to consider more in the future. He's going strong at 80 and could be sharp another ten years .. but I could see him getting tired of playing on a field tilted away from him. But for now I figure he signs off on all the big deals.

He sure didn't give Grand Am any more respect than they gave him ... and that was quite a while ago. I doubt he has mellowed much.

Or if it is Honda who can't figure it out ... he runs Chevys in IndyCar, he doesn't need Honda. He doesn't need IMSA. If he cannot get a sweet deal, he won't mind dropping all that and staying with what he's got.

Personally I very much want him back in IMSA. Pretty sure that carries a lot of weight with him.
I think I've failed to make my point. I did not say that you are one of the folks saying that Honda will not be in DPi. I was speaking broadly to that group of people, because there is a camp on this forum (and commenting on articles and the like) who appear to be certain that Penske + Honda + DPi is not at all a possibility.

As far as the rumor goes, this appears to be a really solid one. It passes a number of tests that, for example, the Ford DPi rumor does not hold up to. Honda appears to be imminent for 2018, their GTD commitment is coming to an end, engine and chassis decisions and development are underway, where Ford at best would appear to require the end of the GT program before DPi is reevaluated and a program green lit.

As far as Penske being a Chevy guy in IndyCar and a Honda guy in IMSA, Roger is a Ford guy in NASCAR and a Chevy guy in IndyCar.

Chris