View Single Post
Old 24 Apr 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3817186)   #998
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
This years car hasn't appeared yet.....
So there is two ways to look at this. First is the very optimistic pro McLaren view in that... The 2018 car hasn't shown up yet, so hold your judgement! I appreciate that viewpoint.

Second I think a more accurate perspective is that we are three races in and McLaren doesn't expect to bring their "real" car until the fifth race? Over 20% of the season will be in the mirrors! Yes they switched power units, etc. But I feel they very much are in a position to be judged for their performance so far.

It is interesting to go back and read the 2018 launch PR stuff. Clearly they talk about the current car as the "new" car and there is no mention of it being an interim solution until a "real new" car shows up later. It is named the MCL33 and not something like MCL32b. I get that this is a PR statement, but it is ironic in hindsight. Clearly we should ignore what the teams say as either it was a lie then, or it is revisionist history now...

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/201...mcl33-3162533/

And to be honest, I have to question if this "new" car is actually "new", or just a slew of already planned updates that are not unusual for pretty much ALL teams to bring at that point in the season. I expect most everyone may have a "new" car (by McLaren's definition) at some point in the season. Development is always ongoing. The car at the start and end of the seasons is usually clearly an evolution. Is McLaren bringing an entirely new chassis (along with requisite crash testing, etc.) or is this just standard aero and other misc updates? Is all of this talk some type of attempt at a face saving measure from McLaren given how poorly they have performed given who they are?

Lastly... Imagine if the upgraded car is not a significant step forward! Oh boy! Over promise and under deliver might be the new team motto! IMHO, the better strategy is to just keep their heads down, "quietly" deliver upgrades and then (hopefully) show progress on track. That is the best way to silence critics.

Richard