View Single Post
Old 5 May 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2684697)   #25
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
No problem, just comparing a Judd P1 motor against another P2/GT2 motor is a bit meaningless. The Judd P2 motor obviously costs a lot less than the P1!
erm, yes its actually very relevant.....its a common incorrect assumptuion that LMP2 is cheaper as they are smaller, they are actually just as expensive if not more than the LMP1 roule, a Lola designer previously confirmed this to me in the LMP675 days for the chassi side of things.........engine wise, as a rough guide, comparing only normally aspirated gasoline engines.

LMP2 NA: 3.4 Litres = 500bhp = 147bhp/litre
LMP1 NA: 5.5 Litres = 650bhp = 118bhp/litre

therefore normally aspirated gasoline LMP2 engines are more highly strung than LMP1 engines by about 20%.........that does not make them cheaper!!!!........this is also confirmed by the amount of LMP2 engine failures, there have been lots from all manufacturers (Zytek, Judd & AER)

GT2 engines are not exactly cheap either, Ferrari, BMW, GM and Porsche have significant engine programmes.

Gearbox wise, I honestly dont know, but I know even in the diesel config, Ian has heavily re-worked the rear suspension from what radical supplied, and its go a lot of torque capability, so he probably kept it to save cost, I seem to remember its a Hewland IndyCar box which has been evolved for LMP.