Old 18 May 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3734253)   #109
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The FTA deal at the time of the sale in 2011 was about $32 million a year, going from 2007-2012, well up on the previous deal that Ten were paying in the previous 2002-2006 contract...so much so that Ten laughed off their chance to counter it in the 2007-2012 bid process, saying they saw no way that anyone could make their money back off that deal. That sounds like a "big buck" increase to me. I'm not sure what offer that was detrimental to the category you are talking about here?

Not sure what you mean about a disaster for support categories either, they were getting live coverage on Channel 7 from 2007-2014 too.

The current TV deal is only brilliant if you are one of the 28% of Australian households that have Foxtel. For the 72% of Australian households without it, the current TV deal is a shocker compared to the 2013-14 TV deal. It's all about perspective

Sydney was never going to work long term? Did you read any of the PR in the early years of the event? We were told it would be as big as Clipsal, we were told that the event would be signed up for a decade beyond the initial 5-year deal....instead we now have the series grand final in a regional area 2hrs away...name another major sport in Australia that does this?

How has Newcastle proved it is a much more sustainable home for Supercars, they haven't even held an event yet! The same stuff was said before Homebush started
When I use the term big buck being inapt I mean in comparison to the currently deal it wasn't and I mean that the offers made by 7 where effectively unsustainable for the category to continue to be remain profitable with such a lowly offer. What I meant in reference to support is Look at how much coverage the support categories where receiving in comparison, now it's increased in timing and quality. Also go and have a look at the community event there was a huge attendance (that was unprecedented) and all accomodation is pretty much booked out around the venue now. In my opinion Newcastle will work where Sydney tended to faulter as it has a strong and large community base behind it

Last edited by PS2244; 18 May 2017 at 13:21.