Thread: IMSA IMSA : 2019
View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2017, 03:45 (Ref:3768978)   #40
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I honestly doubt Micjhelin would have been given the contract unless they could promise a better-performing tire than the Contis ... and I am not sure anyone could make a worse tire.

True the Contis were ultra-consistent: hard as a rock and slippery at the beginning or end of a stint. Probably could have run exactly the same for three stints ... in a series where the pit rules make double-stinting pointless.
I'd imagine Michelin could have built a better P2 tire, but why bother? let Dunlop have the also-rans while Michelin spent its engineering prowess making sure it shod the winners, in both P1 anf GT Pro, where all the attention is focused.

As I said above ... I imagine IMSA wants to see DPi times comparable with WEC P2 and maybe P1-L ... and those rock-hard Contis were never going to get them there.