Thread: The New AU
View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2000, 15:15 (Ref:45890)   #10
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes AVESCO are asking too much, but I don't think that they would butcher motorsport so quickly on our shores. Yes they have won the right to run themselves, which means they are opening up to the global economy which means they will move off shore, and if the pressure really comes on they will sell it off to the highest bidder. All sport has its politics like this, all sport has its dictators and its unhappy masses. I am extremely cut by what is happening with the tyres situation in Improved Production, it is going to cost many Victorian teams thousands of dollars and has increased costs all round on tyres. Motorsport needs better recognition. But you are right, CAMS needs to invest more in the grass roots level of the sport rather than the top line, as they have enough investors as it is. The networks need to come on board. We need to establish stronger, more organised state and national classes, and most of all we need to make motorsport as accessible to the public as possible. But until we achieve major growth through top line teams dragging the people in, we have to do it all on our own.

But I know we will get there, we have a country with a population of rev-heads. All we have to do is work out ways of getting them down to the track. But from what I hear and have seen down here in the south. State Level meetings are highly organised and actually draw a substantial crowd. The Improved Production Nationals this year at Mallala apparently had huge crowds, and from all the rounds in Vic I have been to this year, we have been drawing quite a few people.

Also Sprints are becoming much more accessible and publicised which I think is a great move. How many blokes come from the illegal Street Drags and finally get to show their lack of talent in their overly worked vehicles on a closed circuit against a few State Level teams doing some testing. It is always a great mix, and their can be some very fun days at Sprints and Lap Dashes.