View Single Post
Old 30 May 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3737473)   #89
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly as a few of you are saying, it seems rallycross has a limited appeal in the UK. Works in France and Sweden though, and Holjes doesn't need a stupid event name and crap to get a massive crowd. Not does France really, for some reason the French swarm there.

That is total rubbish really as if the figures are to be believed 25k where at Lydden, (and I don't believe them one bit, that place can hold about 15000 tops.)

But someone somewhere thinks this is a good idea. I get it, I understand what they are trying to do, appeal to the mass market, the non racing fan, the person who is fed up with F1, WEC and the like and might try something like this if they throw in loads of other nonsense like they have. This is what I hear on other forums.

But WRX is already getting sterile, identikit cars, same winners, lots of identical liveries, drivers you haven't heard of winning (Johan K, Ekky, Bakkerud. Why aren't Petter, Block and Loeb winning Daddy?) To the layman it's spectacular but after a bit you think it still will be?

I doubt IMG are part of this, it seems to have been set up by Silverstone alone, obviously IMG are backing it. But really, why would you alienate an existing audience? I just don't get it.

As someone said earlier, all you can do is stay away. That sends a message, and let's hope it falls on its arse as other events have done in the past.

At least when Palmer did his American thing at Brands the first one was a tenner or something! He has increased the price now obviously, as why wouldn't you if you can (other than to make millions out of food and drink by getting as many people in as possible).