View Single Post
Old 4 Apr 2013, 04:03 (Ref:3228895)   #34
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It doesn't hurt either that Hinchcliffe has now gotten a win under his belt.

THTF, if it means real modifications to the track layout, then I'd rather that Mosport be left intact for the Sportscars. Also, paved run-off doesn't arrest errant vehicles, whereas a well-executed gravel trap does.

(BTW, your chicanes destroy any challenge presented by Turns 2, 4, 8, and 9. They might also make things worse elsewhere, by, for instance, making Turn 3 flat-out. If the Indy Cars would have to ruin Mosport in order to run there, then they ought to stay the hell away from Mosport!)

(As an example from the past, they had issues with cars going off at Woodcote, especially, at Silverstone. They added a chicane in 1974. When the GP returned in 1975, the drivers simply went off the road more frequently at a number of the other corners: most likely that Maggots, Club, and Abbey were particular culprits. Also, they had issues throughout the life of the Woodcote chicane with guys hitting the curbs and crashing at Woodcote anyway.)

The drivers shouldn't NEED the run-off to make clean passes. If that's your issue, you ought to be *****ing about the bad driver behavior, NOT the tracks. Maybe you should also take issue with the Series not being able to handle yellows as quickly as perhaps they ought to be able to. I've seen wreck-fests at road courses (Road America 1996) and ovals (several IRL races at Phoenix) too.

I have recordings of all but one or two Toronto races, and I am certain that there are more passes at Turn 1 than you describe. Also, the exit of Turn 8 is reasonably wide, and I don't recall anybody for sure being served into the tires on the outside; once or twice, somebody maybe took too wide a line letting someone by, and went in, but that's it.

Andretti has been receptive to fan concerns at Milwaukee. There is no reason to think, when they are given the freedom to do what needs doing, that they won't act likewise when dealing with problems in Toronto.

Last edited by Purist; 4 Apr 2013 at 04:10.