View Single Post
Old 7 Nov 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1454363)   #17
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Claire, as we said earlier, many marshals are generally 'circuit specific' and really don't worry too much which club they marshal for. It's bad news for the BRSCC I agree, but remember the two clubs ran together for many years before the days of Nicola Foulston and Octagon.
Sorry Stephen, but I don't think you've quite got it right. Brands Hatch Leisure racing club (or whatever) and BRSCC ran as quite separate entities (well at Brands at least) in the 80's. Many of the faces were similar, but those at the top were different. So I would say they ran side by side rather than together.

When NF sold out to Octagon with the concommitant demise of BHL, did'nt the BHL (only) marshals get welcomed into the BRSCC for the first year at no membership charge? In subsequent years if they wanted to be BRSCC marshals, they had to pay the same as the rest of us. Some (notably a chief) just disappeared from sight. Nose/face/spite/cut thing

The rumours that are going round (and I heard something similar to Claire) seem to imply that there will be some subcontracting like arrangement for race meeting management to the BRSCC from MSV - as seems to be happening this weekend.
Does this mean that BRSCC starts to derive an income from from a large number of volunteers (who already pay membership fees) providing a service to a 3rd party? Don't get me wrong, whilst I'm a member of the BRSCC, long may they continue to get revenue from wherever they can....

But..and this is the big but...

I heard also that this weekend's MSV meeting, although BRSCC members may be running it, the club will not count attendance towards the marshal's BRSCC membership discount scheme. That kind of implies that this potential arrangement seems to benefit the club, but not the marshals.

So, next year if we only have 4 or 5 true BRSCC days at Brands/Snet, how much does that get me off a £30 membership, and 25quid for at most 5 days does not sound like good value for money given that I do 95% of my marshalling at Brands.

I really want to read in an official club communication what the way forward is going to be. Soon.