View Single Post
Old 24 Jun 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1640203)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hmmm amusing ian,

I have an idea as to whom you might be referring to re the denied history driver (assuming it was a BTCC Silverstone round?) and it could probably only be one of 2 people?!!!

KA, indeed yes, that no 62 1985 purchase by BMW GB is curious. AFAICR no red shelled car ever ran in the BTCC. I just wonder if anyone will actually know the story behind this, assuming it was originally destined for a 1985 BTCC campaign..

I just wonder if that car was supposed to be a further CC car for '85? As ian and alex have both said that Frank Sytner didn't get hold of the 1984 CC/BMW GB cars until early in 1985...

This info kind of suggests that the decision to pull out of BTCC by BMW GB may not have been entirely what they had planned?? Maybe GB had assumed that the partnership would continue into 1985 but that CC's other plans (that didn't materialise) affected the importers strategy and pulled the rug from under their feet?

But it what's to say that it wasn't just delivered here for some reason but ended up doing the ETC or a domestic series somewhere?