Thread: Driver 2018 F1 silly season.
View Single Post
Old 16 Jun 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3742185)   #127
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
About Alonso: if I were mclaren, I'd be making arrangements to keep Alonso with me. I heard somewhere he makes around 30 million a year right now. If a top seat opened up, I'm sure he's gone no matter what McLaren does or offers. But since there aren't likely to be top seats available to him for next season, here's what I would do.

Run a full season IndyCar as a McLaren entry for Alonso. Sign a retread type driver for his f1 car that is happy to have a ride, with an out clause that Alonso can take it over at any point. Think someone like jolyon Palmer, or maybe a rookie like sirotkin. Tell Alonso he can have his f1 ride back as soon as it shows that it can compete. Let him maybe make a run at an IndyCar championship while staying with McLaren.

The thing is, we've heard Alonso compliment the car quite a bit. That shows that he's with a top team that has a handle on the regulations, just that they're stuck with an impossible engine. So he'll be taking one step forward, one step backward going to another team that may have a competitive engine but maybe not as good of chassis. So unless a ride at Ferrari or Mercedes opened up, there's really nothing there for him. I guess red bull, but they have a driver pipeline and seem to prefer younger, cheaper drivers.

Plus, we've seen alonso's luck. As soon as he jumps to another team, Honda will find the pace and reliability, and begin competing for championships. Stock with them if they're willing to run him in IndyCar.