Old 19 Oct 2010, 23:44 (Ref:2777292)   #77
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If holding a GP is such a cash cow please explain how the Australian Grand Prix cost the taxpayers $49 million dollars to cover the loss made by the GP.
I think chillibowl has underestimated the sanction fee. I remember there were figures posted a while back that included $0 for Monaco and varying amounts for others. I haven't heard the exact amount but I think the Aust GP pays something in the order of the above figure (the loss). With the addition of new events it is obvious that there is still the will to pay despite the GFC which I had hoped would temper things a bit.

Also when chillibowl talks about 115,000 spectators and $350-400 per ticket, which GP achieves that? Some have that many on race day but not everybody is paying that amount which would typically be a grandstand seat for the weekend (wouldn't it?).

The other reason Melbourne loses money is it costs something in the order of $20m+ to set up and take down the track each year.

Back to the topic I would be disappointed if the Belgian GP was off the calendar. Perhaps by the time the Russian GP starts some others will have dropped off.