View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2012, 13:56 (Ref:3062043)   #56
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think everyone is forgeting - motor racing at any level has never been cheap or good "value".

I started in FF in 1990 - a new VD was £13k and average wages were about £12k in the UK. Now a new Mygale is prob £35kish and av wages are around £25k a year. Similarly running in UKFF in 1990 was about £60k and now its prob over £100k. It was never cheap. So motorsport has either been a rip off for years (maybe) or it is just an expensive sport (definately).

Being a karting dad - there is nearly 300 entries at Whilton this weekend - most running with kit/budgets that would make most club racers gasp. Most spend something between £300-500 a weekend. In this price range there are plenty of people wanting to race/can afford it. However, you can't go car racing for that sort of money (a double header entry with BRSCC is what, £400?). Unfortunately, I don;t think there is any great "rip off" in motorsport - its just bloody expensive! And there just isn;t the money in the system to revive things at the moment.