View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3062076)   #62
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
I have signatures turned off, so I don't see it anyway! Maybe you should add "Dad of best driver ever but we've run out of money and will tell you both at every opportunity" to your signature??

Anyway, whilst datalogging is 'cheap', you quickly get into the realms of having a man employed solely to look at it. He'll want some pay, which will be paid for by the driver. So you've suddenly added, let's say' £20k to the budget per year. For what purpose? So that the drivers that you can't engineer talent on can go faster? But you can't engineer talent... So just let them drive?

I would have to assume that Scott will not be using datalogging this year to save some cash? And one set of slicks for the whole year?

Tristan I don't think anyone would criticise you for racing for fun, I used to (when I could afford it ) & I certainly didn't have the talent or dedication that my children have for the sport. But I always maintain that if you are not enjoying motorsport you shouldn't actually be participating in at any level, career driver, clubman or anything. It costs too much not to enjoy it)

Scott will of course be using data logging this year and as an acomplished data engineer himself from his previous working experience and his motorsport engineering studies he happily is quite capable of engineering & analysing his own data and in fact really enjoys this aspect of the sport. As for tyres he will use the mandatory one set per meeting that he is allowed.

After what looked like being a season on the sidelines he was very fortunate at the last minute to secure a deal in a highly competitive championship. It says much for the topic that we are debating here that two of the most successful championships this year are Formula Renault BARC and F3 MSV Cup which are of course both budget concious championships and whilst no motor racing is cheap these can certainly be cheaper than many. Of course even in BARC there are big teams with big budgets but I hope that Scott will prove this year you don't need a big budget to be competitive.

My main beef is not with drivers that have leaped frogged Scott even though they have achieved far less. You cannot blame them for the way the system works and sadly he is not the only one in this position. But it's about time that the sport became less money centric and stopped wasting talent. I wish I had all the answers but I don't. But I still think there are many things that could be done by Governing Bodies, Manufacturers, championship organisers etc to help improve the situation but sadly people in those positions are less than willing to help because lets face it there is nothing in it for them.

I hope you have an enjoyable season and that goes for everyone else on here whether they be a driver, marshall, mechanic, team owner, official or anyone else involved in any capacity.

Good thread by the way Bella - very thought provoking

Dominic Malvern