View Single Post
Old 28 Apr 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2871456)   #1358
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
while the picture and press release is interesting to read, I think overall it ranks alongsode the revelation that the tyres are round and black, what they are doing is nothing revolutionary or mould breaking, I find the whole story rather toungue in cheek.......
In recent years it has become common practice in road cars, e.g., BMW N63/S63 and Ford 6.7 Power Stroke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
I also believe this single turbo route is quite likley the reason the R18 is smoking so badly, the thing has so much turbo-lag that the air demand cannot match the fuel delivery rate and the fuel doesnt burn properly, the net result being black smoke from the exhaust ......I really am interested to see what the ACO will do about it.
The unburn fuel is also bad for fuel consumption. During the test day, the Audi R18 did at most 11 laps on a full fuel tank, while the 908 managed multiple 12 lap stints and during the safety car simulation even 13 laps on one tank.