View Single Post
Old 4 Mar 2014, 17:34 (Ref:3374982)   #184
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
That's why the only logical conclusion that ITR/NASCAR/IMSA should have bought Trans-Am and use pony cars instead of making a series from scratch. Then again, they're too busy to notice that!

On top of that, having a 2.0 liter turbocharged I4 engine on a pony doesn't seem right. ITR and GTA shouldn't restrict the engine regulations 'cause it's a big mistake on their part.
The 2015 Mustang will have a 2.3 litre turbo as the mid-range engine, and the old SVO Mustangs had turbo 4's. I think there was an early-80s silhouette Mustang with one as well.

The next Camaro will also likely have a turbo 4 in the line-up, so it makes sense. I just don't see the commercial logic in the series. It makes loads of sense for ITR to want it. But considerably less so for anyone to run it. The interview with the Grand-Am officials laid it out pretty well. They won't be spending money to bring it to North America. It will be up to the manufacturers to pony (sic) up the cash for the series. And I see no business case for one in the US market. It would be cool, but not viable.