View Single Post
Old 28 Jan 2003, 11:33 (Ref:488205)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Losers? Hardly! Not even close, in fact.

I've been attending VSCC meetings, man and boy, for the last 30 years (I'm 35) and there is nothing to compare with the atmosphere of a Boulogne Trophy or a GP Itala Trophy meeting. My only sadness is that it takes more effort nowadays to convince people who've never been bitten by the vintage bug that it's just as likely they'll see exhilarating racing at a VSCC meeting as they will at a BTCC event.

I can accept the presence of the BRDC 50s Sportscars at VSCC meetings, because they have a clear lineage, I believe, with the cars which have traditionally been the meat of a vintage event. But I will confess that Historic Formula Ford is usually my cue to go and look for a cup of coffee, unless the grids are very, very big.

But if the truth be known, the reason I go to a VSCC meeting isn't for the post-war cars anyway. I've been under the spell of the vintage Bentley for my entire life, and it's for them that I attend. I also adore the big aero-engined specials, and the Edwardian Handicap that takes place at Mallory Park each year. And if you've never given the vintagents a try, I can only urge you to come along and see the most diverse grids in the racing calendar.