View Single Post
Old 9 Jun 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3739655)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Then super tourers killed the bathurst 1000 in just two years. that's a pretty massive failure I would think, with the short time frame i would even call that an abrupt failure
Would they have killed it in two years if the other V8 1000 wasn't started and they were the only 1000 at the track in 1997 and 1998?

Do you blame Super Touring for killing Amaroo Park then as well? They raced there in 1996 and 1997, and the track closed in 1998....

Super Touring ran in Australia for 9 years, longer than the same regs lasted in Germany, Italy, Japan, South Africa, Spain etc... only the BTCC lasted longer. A pretty good effort by the Australian Super Touring fraternity I would think.

It wasn't as big and didn't overthrow the ATCC or the V8 formula, but that doesn't make it a failure, it just ran it's course, like the formula everywhere else in the world.

It was good to have more National level race meetings to go to though. In the mid-90s you could attend the ATCC/V8 meetings, Super Touring Championship meetings, SuperTruck Nationals, NASCAR/AUSCAR meetings, even the likes of Sports Sedans occasionally headlined their own championship events. Nowadays our choices are just Supercars events or the Shannons Nationals.