View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2016, 10:42 (Ref:3634373)   #8
pipcarder
Rookie

pipcarder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Mark wanted to achieve inside wheel lift in faster corners with an increase in rear bar. This may have been a better way of doing things since you compete in hill climbs where the start is very important and increasing rear spring rate would slightly increase rear weight transfer on launch from raising the CG height as the front extended over the rear compressing. However, for cornering the rear has reached 100% of its capability to resist roll when the inside has left the floor and so any further roll resistance would be on the front axle. This will adversely affect your camber since any compression that moves the lower arms past the point of being level will start to quickly diminish camber, also lower the roll centre and increase the roll couple exponentially, causing more roll and so forth. So increasing rear spring rate and decreasing the bar a little may still help your current problem. I have to say that driver aids interfering hadn't crossed my mind, that could have taken a long time to realise!

With regards to the pushing under power, from my limited experience running FWD race cars I have used toe out at the rear to help the car rotate more so the front wheels can have less steered angle and thus be able to provide more forward traction. I know it is common practice in "spec" championships where adjustments are limited, I don't know if the shims required are available for your car though, maybe something to look into?

It is difficult to decide between the two, first off what else do you use the car for? Do you have a significant other that is going to be annoyed about an uncomfortable car? if it is daily driven then camber plates may be good as they will allow you to reduce the camber for every day driving and put it back on for competitions. Out if the two damper choices I would personally go for the Koni since you already have them on the rear and I doubt the Bilsteins are adjustable? How much of an increase in spring rate are you going? Since this may dictate the need for stiffer dampers to control the stiffer springs, you really don't want to have underdamped front springs as this will reduce traction and front cornering force. Increasing you tyre pressure should help you get a larger footprint during cornering with insufficient camber, do you have or have access to a pyrometer? Another option would be to look into roll centre correction kits as this would reduce roll at the front geometrically and increase camber gain under roll. You would probably also need a bump steer correction kit as well since adjusting the lower arm position would also affect your bump steer. If you haven't read them there is a very good series of articles on Moto IQ called the ultimate guide to suspension and handling (link at the bottom) that has examples of adjusting roll centres and bump steer kits using rose joints. Since your lower arms use the bolt in ball joints it shouldn't be too much trouble to make something up or have a shop make it. You could also take the opportunity to increase the track width at the same time, this will reduce lateral load transfer giving an increase in cornering force.

http://www.motoiq.com/Tech/TheUltima...nHandling.aspx