View Single Post
Old 27 May 2017, 22:58 (Ref:3736527)   #5
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No I'm not a fan, haha. There's usually someone I don't like in every field. Don't you guys have the odd driver you don't like? I guess people do, with the amount of boos Vettel used to get.

I went against Rowland because of the amount of hype he was getting a couple of years ago, so much that Status replaced Stanaway for those last 3 races of 2015. Despite Stanaway having 2 wins in 2015 and probably being in the top 5 in performance. Maybe even top 3, when you look at his results vs his teammate Stockinger who never got close. But nope, Rowland has the money so goodbye Stanaway your single seater career is now over and forgotten about.

Rowland ends up slow in the last 3 races, gives Status their worst qualy performance of the year and has a silly wreck, getting beaten by Stockinger in every race. That probably killed his chance right there of getting a better drive for 2016, and for some drivers would have been it for Gp2.

BUT he won that years 3.5 series (in his 2nd year though), but it wasn't the strongest of fields that year when you look back it. No one in that field is going on to bigger things. Dillman to FE and De Vries now winning a race is about it for that 2015 field, unless Orudzhev suddenly finds some magic.
I guess that's where Rowland got all the hype though.

Then last year he was a very good in Gp2, but it's the way he'd just drive other cars off track that I didn't like. Even commentators wouldn't call him out on it. Sure, Senna, Schumacher, Verstappen will do the same. But still he is one of the fastest drivers in the field. I just feel he could be slightly overrated.

Did you notice he had no speed in Monaco race 2, even getting passed by King who had been so slow in race 1 and finishing 15 secs behind him. That was a bit of a surprise. Wonder if he had something wrong with the car.

Anyway, good to see De Vries get that win. I've never been a De Vries fan either (that goes back to his domination of Cassidy as teammates in F3) but he is a fast driver too and probably had some bad luck and mistakes last year ended up having Leclerc and Albon outshine him. It's easier to back an underdog which is what he's now become.

Other notes of Monaco, Deletraz poor again while Malja is on the podium. Sure he started at the back, but apart from Canamassas crashing at the end, Dele finished last and not even close to Visoiu. Must have some serious issues with setup or brakes. Perhaps he can't drive to the tyres yet since he came from 3.5. In fact, Deletraz replaced Rowland at 3.5's Fortec and came just 7 points shy of taking the title against most of the same drivers (but it was his rookie season). You could say he almost did just as well as Rowland from that perspective. And look at the performance he's now having in F2.

Leclerc just giving up in the end, whats with that?

Markelov showing great speed. He might have charged to the front if this were anywhere other than Monaco. Ghiotto was ahead of still, but he's making Ghiotto look not that sh-t hot anymore. I thought Ghiotto would have been a star this year behind the Prema's, but not so far.