Thread: WEC New Perrin LMP1 !
View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2014, 14:34 (Ref:3462213)   #260
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brab's answer on Perrinn from DSC:

Quote:
I’m sure you were aware of the existence of the Project of Nicolas Perrinn, to create an open-sourced LMP1 and actually race it in Le Mans. Some of the ideas are similar, especially with the focus on open sourcing content / allowing access to engineering content (your models differ slightly, but the spirit is very similar, IMHO), and making it a crowd effort. Why did you not try and approach Perrinn? Is this unwise for marketing? Do your ideas for revenue streams not align with the openness Perrinn wants to achieve? How is your offer (besides your name and the silverstone track day, awesome idea for a top-tier reward btw – kudos) “better” than Perrinn’s?

Thanks for the questions and your contribution, welcome to the Brabham Racing team. We have been working on Project Brabham for some considerable time and when Perrinn announced their programme I was happy to hear about it. That’s because this type of model for going racing will grow and so both of us will be like any other team in the world of motorsport, but doing it differently.

Both Brabham and Perrin are looking at open source racing, but I believe there are some key differences between us. I hope both projects succeed so that we can race against each other, which I would love to see.

Perrin are more focussed on a build of an LMP1 car, while we will focus racing in a World Championship that includes Le Mans, plus give access to fans, drivers and engineers through our digital portals. More information about the web applications is coming in the next few weeks. We would also like to give future consideration to series such as Formula E and a return to F1, which again is completely different to Perrin’s vision.

Personally, I am very, very disappointed to see someone with your “brand” stand up and …ignore the existing efforts to then go into a similar market place. Don’t get me wrong — I funded you (as well as Perrinn) and good luck to you etc., but I would have loved to see you actually joining forces.

Perrinn have worked hard in developing their name, brand and reputation and we totally respect this, so no approach was made with the Brabham name. I would like to think that the Brabham name coming back into racing in this way will help any project that is trying to achieve similar things. The media attention we had in the first week was incredible and to have people in 57 countries contribute has brought attention to projects like this, including Perrin, so it will benefit others as well as ourselves.