View Single Post
Old 3 Nov 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3778317)   #8
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Was it? I thought Rust could have pressed him harder to properly discuss a number of things. The Greg Murphy fluff was obviously played for laughs but like most things supercars related it was pretty superficial.
I thought it was pretty light on as well, but perhaps thats all it was ever intended to be (maybe a proviso for the interview to happen at all?)

My take is that he was done with NASCAR, wanted to come home and felt he didn't want to stop racing, then once he was home and back into it realised he could live without racing, and made the smart decision to stop (pretty much) the minute the desire was lost rather than tool around on a 'retirement tour for the fans'.

His participation in the 2015 enduro's probably worked out ok as well, he did a solid job, and after a few months out of the chair it would have been a good guide to reinforce whether he had made the right choice to stop, or if he missed it and wanted to carry on.

No shame in stopping early, the likes of Geoghegan, Martin and Morris did so as well.