View Single Post
Old 23 Jun 2000, 21:40 (Ref:19035)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The way the cookies work in vBulletin is totally different to the way that UBB operated. Once you are logged in, the server retains details of the time at which you last loaded a page on the forum - be it viewing a topic, posting a reply, or whatever.

Most important thing about this is that the only cookie which is stored in your browser is your login information. This has several advantages - you can log in from multiple locations and know that you won't have to wade through loads of topics which you've already read because the cookie on that system thinks you haven't logged in for the past week. It also eliminates the problem when a cookie becomes corrupted & you lose the information relating to your last visit.

If you go a whole 5 minutes without any activity, you will have your 'last post indicators' refreshed. The question in this case is - is this inactivity time long enough ? Yes, I can change it but, if you are a regular visitor, what is the correct level to set it at ?

I am talking to John, the forum developer, about adding a 'mark all posts as read' facility to the system. If he does this, we can easily set this inactivity time to 15 minutes and know that everyone will be happy because of the availability of the mark all posts as read option.

As a temporary measure, in the meantime, I will up this inactivity level to 10 minutes and see if this helps. Maybe this will create other problems though, so we'll just have to play it by ear for the time being.

As for the problem with updating your profile, they are currently beta testing version 1.1.3 of the software, but I am reluctant to upgrade to beta software - especially as it will mean me hacking the private messaging back in again. If you'd like me to update your profile for you, just let me know the details.