Old 30 Jun 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2908845)   #88
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
And that is exactly why F1 will always be bigger than Sportscars, Touring cars or Rallying. Most people don't want to follow faceless corporations but rather people they can relate to, usually by virtue of nationality.
People can relate to marque, especially to the ones they (and their fathers) are driving. Take Opel or Volkswagen for example. These marques have a large following, because many people drive its cars. This is why many Opel fans flocked to DTM races in the mid-90s, to see their marque kick Mercedes and Alfas butts.

And speaking of faceless corporations, Red Bull is at least as much faceless as Mercedes is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I never understood the nationality thing though, I´ve never picked my favorite drivers, teams or athletes in general based on their nationality.

Just because someone's German dosen't mean I feel like rooting for them. In fact, it makes it actually less likely
Well I root(ed) for Michael Schumacher in F1, for Audi in endurance racing and rooted for BMW in WTCC. I'm by no means biased towards Germany, but I want to see my country being internationally successful. That includes motorsport