View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2016, 23:51 (Ref:3616885)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GPL will always have first place in my heart.

Honourable mentions are:
  • Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix. Where it all started! I remember playing it for the first time ever on PC at the 1992 Autosport show at London Earls Court. The following year I got an Amiga 600 and played it to death driving full GP distances even back then!
  • The original GTR by Simbin. It was the first time I ever heard realistic sounding drivetrain sound effects. Back in the early 2000s it was amazing! I would also consider it personally to be second-hardest to drive after GPL.
  • GTR2. New and improved GTR. Fond league racing memories.
  • Rfactor - Mods, mods, mods! There were so many, but I really enjoyed GP '79.
  • Live For Speed. Ok most of the tracks and cars are fictitious, but it actually had a pretty good public racing scene. I didn't see nearly as much wrecking than in other sims at the time
  • Simbin Race Series. This has a soft-spot since I did quite a stint of league racing with this racing touring cars, GTs and single seaters. The mods were generally pretty good quality too.
  • Rfactor 2. I personally find this one a little trickier, but it is a technical marvel and no mistake. I don't tend to drive as much as I used to and so have not league-raced it, but I've done a few community events and it's pretty good.

I can't really speak for AC or PCars since I haven't really had anything to do with them.