Thread: Matos to IPS?
View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2109086)   #30
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Luke, who do you think is funding it? Do you honestly think that all the teams are footing their own freight? Where are they getting it? Sponsorship and prize money are next-to-nothing. I realize you're a bit removed geographically on how this is working over here but Pook blew $90 million in the final year of CART to keep the series going, a lot of it on team subsidies that were well-stated in CART's public documents. These teams' situations are no better now than they were then. If KK and GF are coming up with free engines and tires as Mark C. said (who knows?), then they OWN Cosworth and they PAID or TRADED a deal with Bridgestone to be able to do it.

Indeed, PKV was in such good financial shape that it took Tristan Gommendy, a pay driver, last year. Forsythe refused initially last season to run a second car unless it was "paid for" and later relented. Petit bought and closed RuSport and joined Forsythe. Gentilozzi is off to the side waiting for money to show up. And these guys OWN the series.

Judging by what's happened lately, it appears that KK is backing away (or meditating with the penguins again) because he hasn't said a word since before the JDSU trial. Forsythe and KK were known to disagree on things and it appears Forsythe is taking more command of this now and KK less command of it. The Cotman resignation points to that. Forsythe was known to favor the ex-SCCA mafia in the office. But time will tell.
I think for champcar to move forward it must embrace all the innovation that once made it great. Right now all open wheel racing is just existing and getting by. There is no forward progress being made by anyone. Do you think the irl is any better?

I have friends in and around the irl and it is not a rosey picture. Sponsors are not lining up to jump in, indy or not. Penske is secure, agr is secure for now, ganassi leachs funding off the nascar operation to pay for the irl team, tony george foots the bill for 2 cars and everyone else is struggling. Hardly a picture of great success after all these years.

I think we need one owner and one leader. I gave Steve Johnson a chance, but I have never liked him. I don't like what he did at the SCCA, especially with rallying.