View Single Post
Old 9 May 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2877793)   #16
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Keeping in mind that it appears as though the market for LMP1 cars from 2012 and on is restricted to ILMC and the ALMS. Pretty small market, in all probability you are mostly going to see Lolas, and whatever people build for themselves (Oreca...).
Orecas and Lolas are probably going to have a stranglehold on the market along with Zytek perhaps now with their hybrid package. I believe I read some time back that Oreca has a North American distribution deal with Carl Haas. Is that true? Or is that only for FLM parts? I think having a solid distribution partner could help Oreca sell some cars in the US for ALMS duty, but it appears that is more likely to happen in LMP2 than LMP1. We'll see. The Oreca 01 seemed pretty racy back in 2009 (which I realize was a long time ago) and I'm sure Oreca has a good design for the Oreca 02 coupe if it ever happens. I know Oreca is trying to do more business in the US. I believe they are considering doing an aero package for the IRL car of tomorrow. I wonder if there is any possibility that OAK/Pescarolo could team up with Oreca to develop the Oreca 02.

The Wirth/HPD coupe is an interesting concept. I would think that HPD would set up one or two semi-factory efforts in order to try to get good results so they may sell the car to other teams. Strakka and Highcroft are good bets. I'm not sure if there is enough of a market for it though and the ARX-01 still seems to have some life in it within the petrol class at the very least. The ARX-01e, at least with the HPD engine, is probably still the best option for a privateer team.