View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2000, 22:17 (Ref:36345)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm absolutely rapt that i went to Oran Park instead of QR!! What a weekend....very long story to follow...

Besnard- Hmmm, he hasn't proven himself to me yet...of course he is going to sweep the Lites, look at the competition....with reference to Lakeside, why he didn't win by several laps, is totally beyond me. Wakefield's engine is the engine that Terry Finigan used at Bathurst last year, and from what i gather, it was his spare engine as his number one was blown up in practice. I think you'll all have to agree that that engine would be no where near the quality of an SBR engine (albeit if it is an old donk, it would still have 5 years of development done to it).

Also WRT his driving. At Lakeside Wakefield and Besnard were carving each other up, fantastic stuff. But when Wayne pulled his last big move on David in the kink it scared the **** out of him. From that lap on he would brake a good 100m before the kink, and backed right out of the throttle. NOBODY else in the field was lifting, let alone braking. I've told this to drivers, and they have said that they would do the same if they were in that situation. My response to that is that Wakefield gave as good as he got, and he didn't back off. Also the fact that the only way Besnard could get by Canto and Wakefield was be rubbing panels...well....ummm, it will catch up with you in time.

He has done well at Mallala and QR, woopty doo...they aren't exactly difficult tracks. Have a look at the time sheets of local events at least at QR, and the quick drivers there have quick engines, and aren't necesarily on the pace at Lakeside.

I say throw the Mountain at him, if he is good he will kill it, and I will have to eat my words. As a Ford fan, I'd love to eat my words on this one...