View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2113353)   #41
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mountainstar, you focus on the conclusion to my post, not how I reached that conclusion.

The Penskes and Patricks, etc., were part of the racing "family" at that point in 1979 with the, yes, Gurneys.

Of the Amigos, only Forsythe has any experience in the Indy car family. And he was not a founder of CART and his participation in founding CC was a bad guess at recovering some of the $30 million he lost in CART stock. Kalkhoven is a venture capitalist who's a rookie in the sport and Petit is his tagalong. Gentilozzi was just looking for a way to be a BMOC.

The motives and involvement of the ownership of CC are far different from the motives and involvement of Gurney, Patrick, Penske, etc. They aren't even close.

A way to make a merger work? Frankly, the CC teams would be an asset, the ones that could answer the bell and join a merger, but CC doesn't own them, anyway. Some (as in maybe 3-4) CC events would be useful in a merger. Confusion to the public would be less. But a merger isn't the solution to everybody's individual problems, it's a PARTIAL solution to major open-wheel racing's problems in North America.

And, based on Miller's piece, if Forsythe thinks he's owed $100 million to merge, he's peeing into the wind. CC bought CART's assets off the courthouse steps for $3 million. Somebody try to convince me that CC has appreciated 33 times in four years.