Thread: Driver Jenson Button
View Single Post
Old 7 Sep 2016, 14:00 (Ref:3670752)   #56
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Has anyone else considered that the reason that McLaren have signed the rumoured deal with Button is because they fear that Alonso may decide to buy himself (or have a clause permitting him) out of his contract at the end of this season? They would therefore want/need JB on hand to lead the team for 2017.
I had speculated either in this thread or elsewhere that they (McLaren + Honda and given the 2017 contract details Button as well) may already know (or very strongly suspect) that Alonso is gone at the end of 2017, but I had not considered him leaving in the middle of (or even before the start of) the 2017 season. I guess if the 2017 McLaren/Honda combo is absolutely dismal, then maybe Alonso might jump ship early (and just retire from F1, but maybe not racing).

I am absolutely convinced that "something" is going on. The 2017 Button situation (large fee to sit on the F1 sidelines) is just so odd. I absolutely don't buy the "needed to take a break for a year" storyline.

Richard