Old 7 Nov 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3163722)   #20
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
Greg Cozier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Not if its policed properly and bad/over aggressive driving is swiftly punished.
Exactly.

I only ever organised one rallycross event in Barbados back in '06. There were three local 'supercar' competitors (rallycars without restrictors) and 6 from UK/Ireland: Doran, Doran, Tracey, Gibson, Procter, Carnegie) along with about 30 other cars competing (rally and race cars). Over 100 local rally and race drivers were spectating and the organisers agreed that if the bumping was allowed they would never take part in future events so the COC issued a stern warning in the drivers' meeting; there was not a single incident for the entire meet that was driver-caused.

BUT Vaucluse Raceway is a huge track with plenty of passing opportunities.

My point is simply this: I and probably thousands of others do not believe that cars have to be destroyed to entertain drivers or spectators; that kind of behavior has the opposite effect on most sane racecar owners. It is the race organisers responsibility to provide a safe, fair and fun environment for everyone there and driver discipline is one of the most important aspects. How the crashing element was ever accepted in the sport would be an entertaining historical study.