View Single Post
Old 26 Apr 2000, 12:54 (Ref:167)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The drivers? Partly, you rarely see either in anyones top 10 list.

The chassis? For a new chassis it seems to be fairly fast. Early races showed some twitchiness which could be lack of familiarity since the drivers had less development time than needed due to weather in the pre-season.

The engine? This is where they've had most of the problems. Not with the basic powerplant, but with many of the system (oil delivery) and drivetrain (clutch)components.

Dr. Neil Ressler, the team Director, admits he made an error by having Jaguar develop many of these components "in house". Not that they weren't capable, but there was little time to develop critical components from scratch, without running into developmental and reliability problems. He did this in order to "empower" the guys and gals at Milton Keynes, but it may have proved a bit discouraging when the results were not as expected.

Another factor you didnt mention, management. I've read that Gary Anderson is not the best team player, and many at Jordan didnt mourn his departure. Criticism has been leveled at Neil Ressler, but I dont buy it. Most of it has to do with resentment of Ford, and the feeling he has elbowed the Stewarts out (wrong).

There are rumors of Brawn/Byrne coming from Ferrari next year. Also Jag will announce some management changes at/before Spain.

In any case, it's too early to tell Minardi Man. Jag's marketing has outpaced their performance so far, but who really expected them to be contenders out of the box? (OK, I did, but I'm a dreamer). In any case, I dont mind supporting an underdog, as you do. I am willing to give them a season or two, but not fifteen!