View Single Post
Old 1 May 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1904602)   #49
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The market for dual purpose bikes has expanded rapidly in recent years and there's a big choice, right from a basic Suzuki DR200 to the mighty BMW GS1200 Adventure.
Whatever he buys MUST have a 21" front wheel, don't be fooled by some into thinking that the recent crop of 'adventure tourers' with 17" and 18" fronts are OK. When your off-road or on the gravel a 21" front is a must. If he's on a budget and wants a reliable, bullet proof adventure bike, then my pick is the Suzuki DR650. First modification is bars with a higher bend that allow you to stand more easily and a set of good handguards (Acerbis). Fit a bash plate and away you go. The motor is powerful enough for most situations and will happily sit at 110/120km/h on the motorway. Tank range with the standard tank is around the 200km mark depending on the terrain; bigger tanks are available.

The DR650 is a great bike and wildly underestimated by some who think that you have to spend three times the cost for an adventure bike. I own one and it's probably my favourite; look at what I get to ride in the pics above and it's saying something.