View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2125063)   #1
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group A in Malaysia, Thailand and other Asian nations

Group A in Malaysia, Thailand and other Asian nations

From this site http://www.volvogrupp-a.se/historia.htm I see that Volvo won a triple of championships during 1987, taking the Thailand, Malaysian and Southeast Touring Car Championship. Swede Per-Gunnar “Peggen” Andersson being the winner of one or all three titles – I don’t know. This feat was repeated in 1988. My best guess is that races counting towards all three titles overlapped to some degree.

Henry Lee winning the 1.6 litre title in 1987. Can’t find the source, though.

One of the Winfield “Godzillas” went to this area some time during 1992. I have a half remembered image of a Swedish “Hansson” challenging the Skyline in his BMW M3 Sport Evolution. By the late 1980’s there was a liaison be twin local race organisers and the Swedish Formula 3 championship, so…

In the Ford Sierra RS500 thread it’s mentioned that Graham Goode was present at some stage with an RS500. A race at Johor on April 26 1992 is mentioned in Autosport. Gianfranco Brancatelli also raced in the region at some stage. Actually I think "Branca's" driving was beyond the 1992 lapse of homologations of the RS500.

The Macau Guia races should also be a connection. Regulars like Charles Kwan and Henry Lee were regulary racing in the Japanese series in the early 1990's.

This is part of my research into 1980’s/1990’s Group A racing around the world, and should end up as the ultimate book on the subject – you’re warned. Any contribution is welcome and will be dearly appreciated.

Jesper