View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3690254)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
but thats not really old man's point though is it?

if i am understanding his post correctly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Recent statements by DTM drivers that the fully professional nature of that series is preferable to the free market of F1 prompt the thought. The DTM is arguably the best series outside F1, certainly the best touring car series and on a much smaller scale the BTCC is certainly the biggest and best UK series but a championship contender who lost out in the last race has just walked away. It strikes me that this may be because, as he is known to have access to a big budget, the teams expect him to pay that, no recognition of achievement.
he is, i think, saying that once a driver brings money they will always be expected to bring money despite of their level of success.

he saying that at some point it needs to become a meritocracy...at some point success on track should translate in a driver having to find less money on their own and the team assuming the responsibility of finding money based on their contracted driver and teams successes.

its motor sports in an industrial setting so using a 'means of production' type analogy seems fitting...but expecting a driver to bring their own money is a bit like saying that the factory workers should have to pay the factory owners for the privilege of working in the factory.

perhaps justifiable in the lower categories but as one progresses up the ladder it makes far less sense imo.