View Single Post
Old 7 Oct 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2967255)   #1258
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
I agree with all of this.

I was at Petit Le Mans live and there were a lot of spins that did not involve Full Course Cautions. There was literally a prototype that spun on the front stretch, sat there for 2 laps, got going again and there was no caution. There were also a lot of spins in the esses where the guys got going again with no safety cars.

But all of these safety cars were legitimate in the sense that there were cars stopped on the track, not because of some phantom debris cautions to bunch the field up like NASCAR.

If you want to get of US Safety Cars you have to do two things:

1. Give LMP1s more horsepower so they don't have to divebomb the lap traffic in the turns to keep their momentum up.

2. Make IMSA rules like the Le Mans 24 Hours rules where you have to get your car back to the pits yourself or your car is done. There were lots of instances at Petit where drivers couldn't make it back to the pits so instead of pulling off somewhere safe, they just would park by the track and get towed back to the pits. In fact, the Patron car said on the radio when he parked at turn 6/7 "this should be a good spot to bring out a safety car".
Yes, I also heard that radio message, and it really made me furious. Those guys should be banned from racing......