View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3161526)   #2578
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
F1 cars have rather different aero profile, they don't take off at large yaw angles (i.e. while spinning). F1 fins were introduced by various teams (not mandated!) probably to improve the performance of the rear wing at slight yaw, and later used to implement rear wing blowing (F-ducts etc.). Later these fins were limited to this kind of length in an attempt to ban blown wings.

I assume LMP regulators are adamant that having smoothly integrated (and better-looking) fins would reduce their efficiency in terms of creating higher pressure over the top surface of the bodywork to prevent spinning cars from lifting. I suppose the current 'garage door' design keeps the air from 'leaking' over the car much better than F1-like fins would.

I'm not sure how 'roof flaps' can be implemented on LMP cars, but the key issue is with the underfloor, which is barely altered by 2014 regs. That's a huge opportunity missed in terms of improving safety and aero (and thus fuel) efficiency of prototypes! Everyone is so hyped about the DeltaWing's efficient aero, but the LMP regulations just wouldn't allow that.
Yes, apples to oranges comparing F1 fins to LMP...and all the data says taller is better in terms of yaw-lift reduction.

Roof flaps are all well and good, but yes, how would you write the rule to accommodate very different cars and shapes?

Finally someone gets it Re: regulations and efficiency...regulations drive efficiency. No regulations (or limited cherry picking)? Guess what, fast AND efficient car...DW is no miracle car.

There are some minor changes to the 2013 aero rules that I'm following up on and will write up this weekend.