View Single Post
Old 15 Jun 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3263014)   #354
Eircamae86
Rookie

Eircamae86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleHart View Post
About 12 months ago, I aquired an old Rally shell that has been a spare for a mates AE86 rally car. Its been sitting on a roticary for many years under his house and been a good work bench. CAMS have no reccord of the vin. So I have striped it down and sent it off to get soda blasted and is then going to get racked an straightened out. life is tough as a rally car. Some one changed the main hoop in the cage at some stage to the bigger 44.45 size, and didnt do a very good job of it. as I was cutting it out, I found a MANS sticker.

After much hunting about in NZ I found that Bruce McKenzie built the car in 1983, and ran it in the 1984-85 rally championchip, winning the class both years. He sold it where is was run by Barry Dryden/Robin Lang in the 86 nissan mobil 500, Car #51. At some stage after that it ended up back in the forrests of NZ.

I have some pics from Bruce in its original colours. I have been trying to find some pictures of it at the wellington race. Any help here would be appreciated.

I'm still trying to track down the rest of the history and photos along the way and, how did it end up in Aust?
I live in Toowoomba, PM me as I wouldnt mind a look at any local 86s. The only rally ae86 I have ever heard about in that area is a Blue Trueno?