Thread: GT Asia 2017
View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3704090)   #2
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get it why SRO launched the Blancpain GT Asia.

It is SRO vs. MA (Motorsport Asia), and that is not good. two almost same championships.

SRO ofcourse has the Blancpain GT Series, Sepang 12 hours, Fia GT World Cup (Macau) and the Intercontinental GT3 challenge.

On the other side, GT Asia has now a big alliance with the Asian LeMans Series (SRO vs. ACO also here than).

It was better to have one GT3 asian championship, GT Asia, and that SRO partnered up with them on the same way he do with PWC. Than you got the local GT Asia knowdlegde, backed up with the knowledge of SRO. That would have make more sense.

I hope not, but I have the feeling this could be the last year GT Asia, might the championship be dissapointing in 2017, and BGT Asia a succes.

So far, GT Asia has:
- 1x or 2x CMRT Eurasia GT3 Vantages
- 3x Absolute Bentley
- 2x AAI? Mercedes (according to their fb page)

Maybe return:
- Clearwater (i won't be suprised they still show up a couple event in their Ferrari, I think Hamaguchi choose the McLaren and the SRO series, because of the choose for Suzuka. Mok Weng still can go with his Ferrari to GT Asia)
- Craft-bamboo. Said they decide based on which series offers the best
- Singha. Although confirmed a Blancpain Sprint campaing, i don't rule them out for a return. But already entering an SRO series doesn't seem a good sign.
- BBT, not heard anything from the, might return in their F488
- AAI, not heard anything from them, might return with their Mercs (as mentioned above, or maybe with their M6 or McLarens

Possible entries:
- Asian LeMans Series teams: DH Racing (F488), VS Racing (Huracan), OD Racing (650S), ???

Not return:
- Phoenix Racing Asia, choose for SRO
- FFF, choose for SRO
- GruppeM, choose for SRO

My expectation: They now have almost 7 confirmed. I would be suprised if they can get 15 GT3 entries or more. But i expect it be more around 10 GT3 cars. Maybe with GTM (older spec GT3), GT4 and GTC it still could be a nice 20+ grid.

Crucial point: Which series can offer the best BOP, Racing and value for money. The two series are so similar, that it is crucial that there will be fair fights and good racing. BOP will therefore be important aspect, if someone feel like there car has got an disadvantage and might therefore switch the next season to the other championship. Just watch IMSA/PWC with Porsche this season. Sometimes i have the feeling that SRO given a few brands a little advantage or disadvantage. Last things is the value for money (social media, tv, press, etc.)