View Single Post
Old 20 Feb 2004, 10:56 (Ref:880274)   #21
Pierre Martins
Rookie

Pierre Martins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dereklola -

There is / was a Zwartkops airforce base, but Zwartkops race track was not part of it. The track's been around for a long time though.

Talking about low flying planes, I was at an airshow at Wonderboom airforce base (this could be the base you referred to) about 5 years ago. A US airforce F16 did a aerobatic display. OH MAN !!! That's the most power harnessed in the smallest vehicle I've ever seen. Compared to other jet fighters the F16 looks like it could fit into my garage. It goes like stink though. Absolutely incredible.

JGM -

The old East London track is still being used regularly and is part of all the national championships in SA. (It's the only track in SA I've never raced at.) When there's no racing parts of the track are being used for regular traffic. That must've been where you were driving.

Actually, I've got an interesting story to tell about East London race track. I can't remember myself, but my mom told me when I was a toddler Mr Bruce McClaren himself carried me around the East London pits on his shoulders, joking with the other drivers by telling them I was his newly adopted son. Man, I wish I had photos of that. I think it was during the '63 championship.

Cheers,
Pierre