View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3701367)   #217
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so a further move away from RD and the size zero philosophy which the team and Honda have had many many problems with.

given that the design work must have been done many moths ago, i wonder if this new direction factors into any of the board room issues surrounding the team over the past year?

if it works does that put them them back in the mix or just equal to where Merc were in 2014 when the new engine formula started?
All good points.

I am of the opinion that the size zero concept was the root of the problems. I made the point months ago in a post that this is the benefit of an all in one team like Mercedes. That there is less of the customer/provider relationship. That pushback on bad ideas work better within a team atmosphere. I could be off the mark, but I can envision McLaren pushing Honda in the direction of the size zero design and that negatives of that solution could have been suppressed to maintain the happiness of the relationship.

Clearly the honeymoon phase is over and they know it didn't work. Time to face reality, come up with a new plan and then move forward. It hard to say how much the shakeup within McLaren is part of this. I suspect the shakeup within McLaren is just part of the aftermath of how things have been going.

Regardless, it sounds like they are more on-track now than before. Hopefully they will not be too far behind now.

Richard