View Single Post
Old 7 Nov 2016, 18:11 (Ref:3686270)   #36
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
About 2 years ago I've visited a lawn mower race event in Avon Park, FL. the weekend before the 12H @ Sebring - a hoot! I'm sure the same goes for what Matt suggests (although every Sat. night sounds a bit much! ).

To add to my earlier recommendation: I'm sure you'll find your fellow spectators (and if you go to a more grassroots type of event those will be mostly crew folks and such) much more friendly and easy going than most of us appear to be here on this forum, somehow the digital world doesn't always seem to bring out the best in people and therefor we often seem to be much more critical and negative than in the real world - I myself am no exception!

Take care and hope you'll stick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Motorsport to me is about man and machine vs man and machine at the end of the day - as long as there are drivers in the car and they go fast, I'll continue to watch. I like open, I like spec, and everything in between.

As for your issues... Something I cannot recommend enough is to follow Coach Ep's recommendation. Go to Mid-Ohio for one of the less important events such as the SCCA Majors(or rather, "Super Tour" as it will be known next year). Take a closer look at the Runoffs(all of them since 2009 are viewable on-demand on the SCCA website).

If your issue is that things are too spec, grassroots racing has a lot of interesting and very open classes. Prototype 1 and 2 in particular, but other classes are quite the hotbed of variety in spec as well - the Production, Touring, and GT classes in particular are all wonderfully diverse with a lot of open specs to work in. While there are a lot of spec classes as well, the variety of machinery and creative approaches in most classes is a wonderful thing to behold - particularly in person.

Yeah, the SCCA doesn't have an anything goes class the way NASA does(they really should, though - that'd be a GREAT thing to see at the Runoffs!), but what it has is really worth the look.

Put simply, if that stuff can't rekindle your fire, you truly are burned out on racing and it's time to find another thing to enjoy.

Spend 2017 going to every grassroots event you can at Mid-Ohio, and see if any of it lights that fire you used to have. They're generally $10 a pop - you won't be out a whole lot of money for trying.

These events can be a really eye-opening experience - My viewpoints of racing have changed a LOT since I started visiting the Majors race at Mid-Ohio each year, and I'm going to miss it next year after I move(I sadly won't be in range of any Super Tour event).
FF: I often find your posts overly annoying to read - not this one. I'm sure what I said above in response to Chernaudi goes for you too!

When and to where are you moving? You might be (relatively) close to VIR which has a SCCA Super Tour date scheduled for late April I believe.