View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2017, 08:34 (Ref:3715479)   #56
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Coventry situation is a little different sadly. That has been done so badly the mistrust will no doubt affect fans for quite some time, it had already affected me for a couple of years before as I knew the way it was being handled was shoddy, underhand and utterly unprofessional.

The problem there is also the successful speedway team that shared the facility, you lose the track you lose the cars and the bikes, and as they are a team they always have more pull locally as they are sort of like a community thing like a rugby or football team, so the media are more interested. Wimbledon had one too in the past.

Never mind the fact they never got anywhere near as many people through the gate as stock cars did to watch. The speedway team disappearing has been driving local news, as usual no one gives a toss about the stock cars that made far more money and actually benefitted the local economy with huge queues at chippys and the odd weekend meeting that benefitted local pubs, and hotels. Speedway rarely contributed to that pot locally. And less so.

Either way, both are gone now, speedway team has to be dropped for a year as they have nowhere to race and the stock car people who removed all the stuff needed to run there anyway; like the fence, lights and a few bits will keep them and use them at whatever new track they run at.

I can't see it happening to be honest, to get planning for a thing like this is almost impossible in modern Britain. Belle Vue speedway did it, but only by linking the sports history and stuff there as an almost cultural investment. I very much doubt Coventry will get a new stadium, it is a loss maker, always going to be unless you have a person involved with huge business acumen who can find ways of making that land work for him to make money.