Old 2 Feb 2017, 23:43 (Ref:3708881)   #37
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I have been and always will be a "motor racing" fan, in that I've never really had a single focus in racing. I like it all but have only recently hit the drags. Love the NHRA in person. The highlight shows are okay, but like you, I didn't think there was a more fun series and set of drivers to follow for a full season and 30 plus races than the Cup series. It was ruined for already me but this is more dirt over the coffin.
Yes, it is really sad when diehard fans, that really enjoy something, like you, myself and so many others, is driven away by someone that had NO CLUE about the sport and does not have enough common sense to look at how his Grandfather and Father handled things! They have RUINED it, as you said. Drag racing is fun to watch, but it isn't the same as a day at the track, watching a 400 or 500 mile stock car race. Plus, like I said, they are only here one time and then the nearest they get again is over a 150 mile drive, one way. Can't afford that. No other options for a Cup fan.

Quote:
Try to come to the Mitty at Road ATL in April. You could walk the paddock and check out a wide variety of machines and get really close track side. It's grass roots for the most part - there's some serious set ups for those "Indy Types" and some of the others. Sure it's not a "series" so to speak, but it's cool cars and good fun. There's usually about a half dozen stock cars and watching them down the back stretch is okay in my book.
Not even sure what a Mitty is, I presume some form of vintage exhibition. Really though, I just do not like road-racing, even if it is stock cars. Half a dozen stock cars just doesn't really appeal to me, especially since most likely, I saw those cars race, when they were in their prime running in the Cup Series. There just wouldn't be anything outside of the small handful of stock cars that I would be interested in. Thank you for the thought/idea though.

Quote:
Regardless, hope you find something to get some racing enjoyment.
About the only thing I will attend, motorsport wise, this year, will be an event in a series that is trying to make a comeback. On the 25th of March, the American Motorcycle Association will run the American Flat Track Series at Dixie Speedway. For years, going back to the 1920s, flat track motorcycle racing was a huge sport. Very intense competition highlighted by the competition between Harley-Davidson and Indian. The two had such an intense rivalry, that it became know as the Harley-Davidson, Indian Wars! They took the World War II years off, but started back up after the war. This feud lasted until the original Indian Motorcycle Company went out of business, in 1953. Triumph and other foreign bikes provided competition for Harley, but it just wasn't the same. Last year, Polaris Industries, who acquired the rights to Indian, ran a new bike in the series, for the last three or four races of the season and they are running the full season, this year. The revival of the Harley-Indian Wars is set to give a big boost to the comeback of this sport. I have a good friend and fellow Marine, that rode in this series for 11 years. He won an AMA Grand National Championship, back in the early 60s, in the singles class. He and I went to the Great American Motorcycle Show, this past Saturday, in Marietta. We ran into several riders that he had competed against back in the day. All of them are excited about this upcoming race and this upcoming season! So my buddy and I will be going to that race, in March. But sadly, that will be the only chance that I will get to see it. Aside from their season opener, at Daytona and a race in Charlotte, there are no other races for this series anywhere near here and those two are too far away for me. So that will be it for me. Sadly there will be no auto racing anywhere near or anywhere nearly as affordable, the GREEDY smith had priced tickets at Atlanta WAY TOO HIGH for me to attend and there is NO other paved track, stock car racing either amateur or Professional, anywhere near this area, so as I said, I have no options. My guess is that I will just slowly fade away, as a fan, until I no longer follow racing anymore. EXTREAMLY sad that it will end for someone that has been a fan for 59 years of his life. Afraid there isn't much more that can be said about it.