View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2004, 20:01 (Ref:1027154)   #1
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are Kent's getting tired

I love Formula Ford 1600. Always have. Great fun to drive and it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg (although current climate dictates it does).

The one thing I found at the start of this year though, and I'm not referring to my own problems, is that there were a lot of cars with problems at the start of the year. Engine and electrical problems that would normally be related to the end of the year when components are tired and engines need doing.

This could be attributed to one of three things?

One. A shortage of knowledge on car preparation. There seems to be a lot of people out there that know a lot about 1600's, but they seem to be spread rather thinly due to the rising number of competitors. I know I have struggled to get components and it just seems to be that the guys making the parts are bombed out.

Two. The people who have cars don't know what they are doing with them and as such, bring the car to the circuit and it all goes the way of the pear.

or

Three. And this is the one I think is more the case. Some of these cars and engines are getting on. There are engines out there that are over 25 years old. Isn't there a case that no matter how many times an engine is rebuilt, the whole unit becomes fatigued and loses its effectivness? The older cars become even softer in the chassis causing more strain on suspension components and no matter how much TLC you put into a car, like most things that get older, they age?

Just a thought. It would be nice to hear some comments on this.

:confused: :confused: :confused: